Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Meet - Sketch Architec




Today we are kicking it with a new up and coming rapper named Sketch Architec. For starts where did the name come from?


Well, people call me Sketch cause I'm really an artist..Ive been drawing since 5 yrs old....I'm a freelance Illustrator, people say I'm nice...And Architec is what I do both when I draw, I skillfully build a drawing...and when I rhyme, I build words together wit skills.


Where are you reppin?
I'm reppin Brooklyn, NYC for sure...even though at times I chill in Queens & Manhattan.


What made you start spitting?


Like alot a' cats that were 80's babies my age actually growin up in tha culture and tha 90's and being inspired by dope artists & good music.

Who were your influences to get into music?


....Ahandful of dudes...definitely tha legendary Bob Marley(all time favorite)...n*ggas like Slick Rick tha Ruler, Nas, Grand Puba Maxwell, Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, Eminem(especially his 1st album), Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Tha Beatles, Led Zepplin.

Are you on a label? If so let us know.....


No, Im unsigned...swinging dat independent thing...though I'd like to get a good record deal...and get an opportunity to rock!

Any new projects coming out? Any features?

I got some new projects coming soon...I'm one of tha artists featured on "the new part 2"...special thanx to a dope emcee..Tha Advocate (whatup fam!), I was featured on a series of Mic Checks hosted by Killah Priest..put together by Advocate, I'm on the Digital Dynasty mixtapes #1 hosted by Hot Rod and #2 hosted by Willie Northpole...I got a mixtape coming soon as well as an album currently under construction.


In your song "So Hard", you speak of alot of everyday struggles. Do you feel like that song can reach the masses in these hardtimes?


Oh yeah, most def! When I cut dat song (big up to Advocate & deff Jeff Burner for the beat)..I quickly got some feedback, people telling me they're inspired by the joint etc., I feel alot of people relate to the verses I spit in that song..especially now in this recession climate...people want more real hip hop like that.

Are you disapointed in HipHop nower days or impressed with it?


At times I'm disappointed, times I'm a lil' impressed...I just think there should be a balance...Everybody's a thug! player, pimp, baller etc., like no one has flaws? struggles? it's kool to spit dat gangster sh*t if you real bout' it like dat....but do it skillfully...n*ggas like JayZ, Biggie, Nas, NWA etc., those artists were real & they made dope music....Im just saying have diversity...conscious, hardcore, honest hip hop etc. should all get even levels of airplay....Back in the Golden Era, there was so much diversity...originality and that foundation made Hip Hop a strong force. Now, it's not enough originality.


Name a Golden year in hiphop in your opinion?

Probably for me would be 94' with Illmatic...dat album blew me away...Nasty Nas at his rawest...of course, Wu-Tang Clan, Biggie...and before 1994, like 88', Slick Rick...and early 90's..Black Moon, Gangstar...I don't wanna forget names, but all those artists and more that were completely original wit sick production too.



What makes the way you emcee different from the others?

I don't think I sound too much like alot of cats out here...cats say I got a good voice...and my subject matter is a lil' different...I try to be honest wit my sh*t...dealin wit life & nature...at the same time, the hood can nod they head to it...and I try to go against tha grain lyrically....I grew up in an era where tight lyrics were manditory...and I'm glad I learned from emcees like a Slick, Nas, Puba, Rakim etc., I'm happy I grew up in that era....some of these new cats rhyme way too easy! They not trying to challenge themselves or raise the bar & go against the grain...everybody's a photocopy. Any mixtapes or albums coming out?
Yeah I'm on Mic Check 9 & 9.5 hosted by Killah Priest..Digital Dynasty1 hosted by Hot Rod & #2 hosted by Willie Northpole...and you should see me on tha latest Digital Dynasty#3 hosted by The Alchemist...I got more joints to come...mainly my mixtape coming real soon. Also peep my joints at myspace. com/anchientscroll, stay tuned!

Does you agenda include trying to change whats going on nowerdays?

I would like to open doors for more soulful Hip Hop..my music's kinda emotional & personal..at the same time I'm coming wit the rhyme skills...I'm just tryna come wit what I got to offer and rock! My tunes is also about fighting oppression and stuff like dat...so in certain degrees, it's about change.


Does the "N" Word in hiphop bother you?

No .not at all.


Would it bother you if Eminem said it?


I dunno. It depends...I think he gets a pass.... aside from being a top 5 emcee, he had to face alot of obstacles that we minority's do...and to me, also, he aint a racist....but if it's another person dat obviously has racial issues, then I'm not feelin dat. But growin up in BK all my life, you chill wit peoples and say it all tha time. There's just too much concentration on that word...there's so much other things to work on...cats can't even get along wit each other! there's a recession etc.


Are you amped about Obama?


Yeah, that brother made history! it's very inspiring...it shows what bravery, hardwork, etc. can do! I do believe though, he's got alot of work ahead of him...fa real!


Are you more concerned with global warming or the state of hiphop?


Probably a lil' bit of both! sh&t...it be like 80 degrees in Oct/Nov! dats not normal....f#ckin glaciers in Antartica are melting faster than they should....As for hip hop....more doors should be opened for skillful,creative artists!

Pepsi or Coke?


PEPSI






And speaking of album sales ... is the internet really the reason that the music is failing?

I don't really think so...music is falling cause not enough n*ggas is coming wit skills & originality, and makin good albums! The internet is amazing! especially for an independent artist!


Who would win in a battle ...Krs One in his prime or Big Daddy Kane in his hayday?



Dats a hard one! In my opinion....Slick Rick in his prime? was untouchable! but btween KRS & kANE, I got alot of respect for KRS wit his insight&knowledge, but I was more of a Kane fan growin up, so Id have to say BDK!

Back To The Norm....... Name 1 song you've done that will have the Soldya muzik viewers hooked!?


Like I said b4, I got alot of good feedback wit "So Hard" so I'm confident dat song will do well....I got anotha song called "Cuts&Scars"..that I think is tight as well..I got a handful of joints comin soon!


Thanks for hollering at us and in closing give any shoutouts...F.U.'S or whatevers clever?


Good lookin out bredren...shoutout's to Advo, Deff Jeff Burna, my cousin Adrian...what up fam! Ted, Tee, English, Dex, my trini fam, hathor, stacey, my son Ely, ma dukes, anyone dat I forgot, my bad...Ill catch yal tha nex go-round, be on tha lookout for my mixtape&album comin soon! website comin soon! peep my artwork & music at myspace. com/anchientscroll




Sketch Live recording new single in studio

No comments: