Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Meet - J.D. Artist

Today Soldya Muzik is kicking it with an R n B artist named J.D. Artist. J.D. has been several records from Tha Advocate and others. He made appearances on Advo's, "Point Of No Return", (Hosted by Remy Ma) and Shawn Blayze's , debut mixtape, "Watch For Me". J.D. made a memorable appearance on "The N.E.W. PT 2", which featured Sic O Syrus and others. "New PT. 2" was on Digital Dynasty Volume 2, Hosted by DTP/Def Jam's Willy Northpole. That mixtape hit close to the 100 thousand download mark. J.D. will be on Tha Advocate's new upcoming mixtape "Barmaggedon", "Designed To Be Signed" (the album) and he will debut his new club single on the new Digital Dynasty Volume 4 hosted by Chamillionaire. J.D. started to make his mark in 08 with the video "Missing Me" and is featured in the heavily rotated "9678", from Tha Advocate. This year marks the debut album from J.D. Artist, "Story Of My Life", coming in mid 2009. Anyway .... the interview went something like this....

For starts where did the name come from?


My real name is John D. Artist


Where are you reppin?

I was raised in Harlem,NY. When I was 21 I moved to Yonkers, about a block from where the Lox are from.

What made you pick up a mic and get busy?

I started young but put it aside. Then my cousin told me about a friend of his (Tha Advocate) that needed an R&B hook done. Ever since I did the hook for “Maybe you should kill me” for Advo, I got the buzz back!


Who were your influences to get into music?


All the old heads, My Dad was in a group called Buffalo Soldiers, Marvin, Al Greene, and Eddie Levert, I do like Dave Hollister, also.

In your "Missing Me" video it had a nice twist at the end. Can we expect to see any more videos like that soon?


Yeah, I like working out different concepts for the videos. Advo and I collaborated on the concept and it worked out well.

Are you on a label? If so let us know.....

Not yet, but hopefully soon.

Any new projects coming out? Any features?


I did a track called "Shake Your Hips". It’s a club joint that will debut on the Ballerstatus/Tha Advocate mixtape, Digital Dynasty Volume 4" hosted by Chamillionaire !!

Also, an album "Story Of My Life", coming soon.

Are you disapointed in RnB nower days or impressed with it?

I do respect R&B now but, there is not much feeling in the songs of today like there used to be with Marvin, Ojays, Temptations ect.


Name a Golden year in RnB in your opinion?


I would say 1987. Keith sweat and Aaron Hall did their thing

How would you describe your style of music?


I would call it lifestyle. I write my songs from life experience. I have a track called “The Story Of My Life”, and that is what it is. Every song should have some realism to it. That’s where the feeling comes from in a song.

Whats your goal for the music game?


I’m not trying to change the world. If my music is appreciated by some, I’m happy. If that one person can identify with my story, My job is done.
Does you agenda include trying to change whats going on nowerdays?

I think everyone should be entitled to express themselves in their own way. So you should do just that.

If you had to compare yourself to any 2 singers dead or alive ..who would they be?

That’s hard, because on some tracks I’ve been told I sound like Gerald Levert, and on some I’m just J.D. So I’ll leave the comparing to the public.



Does major ringtone sales make up for bad albums sales?

I don’t think they do. Music is music and ringtones are ringtones. But in the end if it gets you another check why not.
Who is a better singer to you .... Usher or R Kelly?

That’s a tough one cause creatively speaking R Kelly hands down. But I lost a lot of respect for Kells since I have 2 daughters myself, so respect wise Usher will take it. You gotta respect the family man.

That's real. Kells is like the O.J. of RnB now. Back To The Norm....... Name 1 song you've done that will have the Soldyamuzik.blogspot.com viewers hooked?

Wow! I’m hoping “Shake Your Hips” will tear up the clubs.

Thanks for hollering at us and in closing give any shoutouts...F.U.'S or whatevers clever?


Yeah shouts to Advo, Jeff Burna, and my biggest fans of course my family. Jonai, Chyna, Snowie,Rell,the whole Artist family, and Ding for having my back.



Check Out J.D.'s Myspace Page Here

Download "THE N.E.W. PT. 2 Here







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the missing video really captured me. Good job